Thursday, December 16, 2010

Naptime Woes . . .

Naps have become quite an adventure in our house. This topic is probably pretty boring to most people, but I'm writing about it so I can remember. (Sorry!) Taylee has continued to have a 2 naps a day schedule since she was 8 months old. I have read and heard from friends that between 12 and18 months, most kids are ready to transition to one nap a day, usually in the afternoon. Well, recently Taylee has been really feisty about going down for her naps. She clings to me, won't let me lay her down, then gets SO mad when I leave the room. I thought she must be trying to tell me that she is ready for one nap a day! I was skeptical, but a little excited about this (BIG -to me!) milestone. She has always gotten up early in the morning, like 6-6:30 am. I was hoping that switching to one nap a day might help her to sleep in later, and avoid the naptime meltdown.
Well, joke's on me. We tried the one nap a day schedule for almost two weeks. Some days it went okay, especially if there was a lot going on, or we were out visiting with lots of other kids. But most days, meltdown city! Often she started melting down at about 10 am (she's used to her morning nap at about 9:30). If we made it through this rough patch, or if I put her down a little early, like 11, things went okay. Til late afternoon - then, again, the drama queen put on her tiara and came out to play! I kept thinking that after a week or more she would adjust. Well, not so much! It seems like the problems were just getting worse and worse. Maybe she was just getting more and more sleep deprived by then?
This last Sunday's complete and total meltdown, combined with her falling asleep in the car after just about 1 1/2 minutes, was the last straw. Alas, we are back to two naps a day, and happy about it!! And, by the way, she never did start sleeping in . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment