Wednesday, January 19, 2011

My Confession

After reading my friend Deidra's post about her "little secret" - can you say roller derby?! I felt inspired to post my own dark secret. This is a far stretch from Deidra's fun little hobby, but it does rank high in my list of worries. And without worries, I just wouldn't be me . . .

Taylee is 18 months old, and she still gets a bottle. I know, shame on me as a mommy. This is one of those seemingly simple things in life, that somehow doesn't seem so simple to me. The bottle was supposed to exit our world around 12 months. I just didn't feel like she was ready, and my pediatrician told us to shoot for 18 months as a goal to be rid of the bottle. That seemed easy schmeezy back in July. January was a world away. Not so much now. The thing is, she only gets two bottles a day. One first thing in the morning and one just before bed. We even brush her teeth after her bottle.
Here are my reasons for NOT getting rid of the bottle (yet) -
+ She LOVES it.
+ It is my crutch - She drinks her bottle and plays in her playpen for a solid 30 minutes while I finish my run (when she gets up before I am finished - i.e. almost every day). Without the bottle I doubt she'd last more than 10 minutes. This seems silly, but if you know me, you know running keeps me sane.
+It's the ONLY snuggle time I get anymore. She snuggles up with me and her bottle before bed, and on the occasional morning when she sleeps past 6:30.
+She won't drink milk from a sippy. She takes the name sippy literally - a sip here, a sip there. She loves water from a sippy, but NOT milk. Even since I have begun cutting back the amount of milk in her bottle, she hasn't increased her "other" intake. (Yes, I'm a nurse . . .) I'm afraid she may shrivel right up.

Here are my reasons FOR getting rid of the bottle -
+I'm supposed to.

Many people have offered good advice - go cold turkey; wean the amount slowly (the method I'm currently taking); don't worry - she'll ditch it when she's ready (not so sure she will EVER ditch it). What's a mom to do . . .


1 comment:

  1. I waited until 18 months too. Milk has so many calories, which my kids desperately need. To kick it and get her to drink milk, I put chocolate carnation in it. She carries it around half the morning and before bed. Don't feel bad about the bottle, I don't think it's a big deal. I don't think everything needs to be disclosed to the pediatrition :)

    ReplyDelete